Saturday 22 November 2008

SCRATCH FILM ANIMATION

Develop a sequence exploring the possibilities of working directly onto 16mm film - scratching, drawing, experimenting...

I got the number 6 and my sequence then should be something related to this number.

I started my sequence drawing on a clear film, showing how 'six' is spelt in different languages then a geometrical shape with six sides and then a quick story: 
the world was created in six days (according to the bible) and then it was dominated and destroyed by the devil (666). A bit dark I suppose, but the idea of 666 -  the number of the beast - was the first thing to come up to my mind, then I thought about this little story. For this last part I scratched onto a black film, removing the black layer and colouring the cleared areas.

This project really tested my patience and coordination because it's not easy to work on an area of approximately 11mm x 7mm !
We all know that one second has 25 frames, but how long is one frame? Is it long enough? This process made me realise the duration of one single frame and the importance of it in a whole. Apart from this, timing and rhythm were once again important and definitely these are some of the key concepts when producing any piece of moving image.


The sound track was accidentally created and fits well. ;)






6 days from Mariana Lopes on Vimeo.

No comments: