Thursday 6 November 2008

WORDPLAY PT 1

Reinforce the meaning of one word by just using type, layout and composition.


Collapse. (noun) an instance or structure falling down or in.
a sudden failure of an institution or undertaking.
a physical or mental breakdown.


For me I could visualize something steady, stable, well-built (or believed to be) that suddenly breaks, losses its stability, falls. An ideal, a project, a building, a relationship. Something that unexpectedly loses control, slips through your fingers and becomes nothing but a pile of unrecognizable pieces.


When I first tried to represent those 'qualities' by just using the word, after some attempts I realize that visually my sketches were falling into a different meaning, basically those drawings would fit more to the word "Fall" then to "Collapse". I had to try harder.
I ended up with a layout that according to my own definition was 'about to collapse' and still it wasn't representing or reinforcing the meaning accurately because a collapse isn't something that is going to happen, it is either happening or had already happened. So to reinforce its meaning the Collapse should be collapsing, falling into pieces. - Yeah, now I thing I got it!





With the sequence poster this representation would be easier. 30 different images and the whole action would be there. From a stable object to a pile of unrecognizable pieces.


Well, it wasn't on the briefing but after having all those images and the whole sequence in front of me, the temptation of editing it and giving it some life was stronger than me.

No comments: